Friday, December 14, 2012

Fry Bread


Fry Bread

2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
oil for frying

In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.  Mix well.  Add milk.  Mix well.  If the dough is dry, add more milk.  On a floured surface, knead dough until smooth.  Let rest at least 5 minutes.  Break off 1/2 cup size ball of dough.  Roll into a round disk, 1/4 inch thick with the center slightly thinner. If you are really good, you can toss it around like a pizza crust to make the disk.  This lady was amazing!  She made perfect disks every time. 


Heat oil or lard if you are making it the traditional Navajo way, over medium high heat. 


Fry until golden brown, turning it only once as it cooks.  Drain on paper towel.


We had a fundraiser at the Passion Radio Network last week.  My husband and I host the lunch time show at the radio station.  We had so much fun meeting listeners and eating Navajo Tacos.

Navajo Tacos are made with fry bread.  



On top of the fry bread you add beans with beef 


and all of your favorite taco toppings.


A new lunch item for me was the Navajo Burger.  
You top the fry bread with grilled beef patties


and anything that you would normally put on a burger.


  It was so good!  But you better be hungry because it is really big!



My new cookbook is available at schools, businesses, hospitals, and book fairs in cities across the United States.  Be sure to pick up a copy or two, when you see them.  They make great gifts!

Check back on Tuesday,
for my Tuesday's Tips & Tricks post! 

Follow me on my Facebook page!

Visit my friends blogs!

GINGERLOCKS' KITCHEN, has become one of your favorite blogs! Stop by Jordan's blog and take a peek!

You will love Bo and his blog,  Bo's Bowl.  Not only does he host great giveaways,  his recipes are incredible!  One visit to his blog and you will see why I faithfully follow it.

Also visit my friend Pam's blog, Pam's Midwest Kitchen Korner,  for more great recipes!  Once you read her blog, she will be your friend too!

1 comment:

  1. I love fry bread, but I have never found a recipe for it. I will have to try this out with some beef, beans and green chile. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete