Did you take Home Ec when you where in high school? Did your school even offer Home Ec classes? It was my favorite class when I was in high school-working side by side with my friends to make delicious food. Oh, the happy memories! The first thing we made in the class was an incredible Applesauce Muffin. Maybe that is why I love muffins so much.
Here are a few of my favorite muffin baking tips:
1. Measure ingredients, don't eyeball it or estimate the amount you are using. Level off measuring cups and measuring spoons with the back of a knife.
2. Always mix the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the well.
3. Don't over mix. The batter should be lumpy.
4. Preheat your oven. Place your pan on the rack in the middle of the oven.
5. Dust nuts and fruit with flour before you add them to the batter to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the muffin cups.
6. Grease only the bottom and halfway up the sides of the muffin cups. The batter will cling to the sides of the cups giving you nice rounded tops.
7. Use an ice cream scoop to fill muffin cups to 2/3 full.
8. Fill unused muffin cups 1/2 full with water for even baking.
On Friday, I will be posting my quick and easy Cranberry Corn Muffin recipe.