Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Stan-wich

Are you an adventurous foodie, or do you tend to play it safe?  My husband Stan, comes from a long line of adventurous foodies.  The creation of the "Stan-wich" actually began when his father and uncle were faced with a culinary disaster.

Like any great adventure, this one begins long ago and far away, Des Moines, Iowa  in the late 1960's to be exact; you know a lot of strange things happened at that time. A Lactose Jedi and his young apprentice, (some people just call them Milk Men) were out for a long day of dairy deliveries.
They had stowed their survival provisions on ice, which consisted of  bread, cotto salami,  and brown spicy mustard. Stacked top of their hearty lunch was a meager breakfast of store bought cinnamon rolls.  Little did they know, as they set out to satisfy the thirsty masses, tragedy was about to ensue.

Out in the middle of nowhere, hungry from a grueling morning of heavy lifting, our two hero's pulled over only to discover that the bread for their sandwiches had become soggy.  Without a grocery store in site, necessity became the mother of invention.  In place of the soggy bread, the cinnamon roll became the foundation for a new and exciting culinary creation.

This sweet and savory sandwich has been a guarded family secret for nearly four generations,  so secret in fact, that it didn't have a name until my husband made it part of an on air fundraiser for the Passion Radio Network.
 My husband, Stan.

Our guest host Bill Scott, broke out his man card, stepped up to the plate and consumed this gastronomic delight.  It was love at first bite for Bill.  Almost without thinking the name "Stan-wich" rolled off of his lips, and the vision for making this marvelous morsel a household staple was born. 
 
Our friend Bill Scott.  Christian author of the soon to be released book,

We promised the listeners of the Passion Radio Network, that we would post the recipe on my blog, so here it is!


The "Stan-wich"
 1 package Hostess cinnamon rolls
6 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
6 slices cotto salami
Place 1 Hostess cinnamon roll on a plate.  
Spread 1 teaspoon of spicy brown mustard over the frosting.
Top with a slice of cotto salami.
Repeat process with remaining ingredients.

I know it is a strange combination, but I hope you will give it a try.  You never know, you may come to love the "Stan-wich" too!

In loving memory of Bob and Dave Burgett, 
co-creators of the "Stan-wich".


Visit my friends blogs!

You will love Bo and his blog,  Bo's Bowl.  Not only does he host great giveaways,  his recipes are incredible!  One visit to his blog and you will see why I faithfully 
follow it.

Also visit my friend Pam's blog, Pam's Midwest Kitchen Korner,  for more great recipes!  Once you read her blog, she will be your friend too!

Stop by and visit Ashley, at What Does A Songbird Sing.  She posts recipes and exercise tips on her blog, and who couldn't use a little more of both!


25 comments:

  1. Oh I am adventurous no doubt about that. I will try anything once - sometimes even twice or more LOL. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "Stan-wich" looks pretty tasty to me--what's not to love--sweet, spicy and salty-ish. I'll have to show this to my family--bet they'll eat it. Thanks for sharing. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had ham on cinnamon and raisin bread, and that's pretty good too! Love your milkman story, my dad was a milkman for many years, and yup, I'm the milkman's daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!!!! I never heard that story before. Those two guys were two of my favorite men in my life when I was growing up...Glad that the Stan-wich is keeping their memory alive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL ! I remember hearing this story! hmmmm...I love sweet and salty....we will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sandwich would put the Earl of Sandwich to shame and it definitely separates the men from the boys in adventurous cooking. I remember hearing about this and now it's going to be tried here. Great story, Linda! Way to go Stan-wich!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a kind of sandwich that my husband would enjoy munching on. Thanks for following my kitchen blog, I am returning the love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Making my arteries harden and my blood sugar spike as I sit here! :))

    Been praying for you and all the teams this season!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rob and I have decided that we have to try it. I'm not going to lie it sounds gross but we trust you! You've never let us down before : D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, I don't think I can try that, but what a lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great story and great looking stan-wich!! I'd try anything once, and that surprisingly looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that looks like a fun job
    interesting story and sandwich
    regards

    ReplyDelete
  13. Strange combinations or not, I love the look of that stan-wich!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now, that is a sandwich! I know my doctor will disapprove, but who cares what he thinks anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my what a combo , adventurous I am but will let someone else be brave...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks unique! Can't get those cinnamon rolls around here, but they look like something to try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing this wonderful story of the "Stan-wich". Facinating! Me and my hubby are adventurous with food. We love to try new food. This recipe has gone into my to do list:D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sharing this great stan-wich on my Wednesday and wandering post! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know I should keep an open mind, but...eeew, I just can't imagine! You're a brave gal ;)

    If you don't mind me asking, what do you think of FoodBuzz? I have my contract ready to fax back, but I'm just not 100% sure. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Linda, what fantastic post. Love reading family stories. The more I look at it the more I think the combination of ingredients would be pretty awesome. Thank you for sharing.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well if they can use Krispy Kreme as hamburger buns then this is totally acceptable too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the Stanwich- that does certainly look like a "man invention!"

    ReplyDelete
  23. My wife likes those cinnamon rolls with lunch meat style bologna on top. Can't find those kind of cinnamon rolls these days.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My wife likes those cinnamon rolls with bologna on top. Can't find the rolls anymore though.

    ReplyDelete