Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tip: You're a Good Egg


To test if an egg is fresh, fill a bowl with water, add 2 teaspoons of salt, then add the egg in question.  If it sinks, it's a good egg.  If it is a floater, toss it out, it's a bad egg, and no one likes a bad egg.

 
Which is better, white or brown eggs?  My mom always said they were the same nutritionally, the only difference is in the color of the shell.  I believed her, but I thought if I am going to put it on the blog I better check her facts.  Once again "Mom is always right"!  The color of the egg is determined by the color of the feathers on the chicken.  White feathers, white egg shell.  Brown or red feathers, brown egg shell.  That's it!  There is no difference in taste or quality.





16 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for the useful tip dear.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love kitchen tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same for checking eggs.. but had the question as to white or brown eggs are better..
    you answered my query. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful tip. Clear, well-written and informative. That's why I check into this blog. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Uma and Lazaro for leaving comments. I love to check your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my grandma said when she was a little girl, she would use this trick to try and sell the bad eggs collected on her farm to the peddler...but he soon got wise to her scheme! thanks for visiting my blog!

    -Kate a' la Southern Belle Simple

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is great advice! I am fortunate that I have a friend who raises chickens, and I have the pleasure of not just brown or white eggs....but, shades of pink brown and greenish brown. They are beautiful eggs. Once you eat fresh eggs there is no comparison in taste to store bought eggs.

    Great post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right! You can't beat fresh eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know how to test the eggs, but I never do...it's funny how you know things, but won't do them unless someone reminds you,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always nice to get useful tips. I found your blog by chance, but I'll be back often. I really like your blog. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. funny you should post this b/c i just read this recently and thought it was a neat tip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tip. Also, if the egg lays flat on the bottom it is more fresh. If the narrow end tilts up, it's less fresh (this is because the air sac at that end gets bigger as the egg ages). Use the tilting ones for hard boiled because they are easier to peel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the additional tips Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for stoppin by my little site!
    i LOVE these tips and suggestions you give! i am a vegetarian, but i'm TOTALLY going to pass your blog along to my mom!
    - r

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never knew that! Thanks for sharing!

    http://yummyanonymous.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete