Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Cranberry Tips


I am ashamed to admit it, but my husband prefers the canned jellied cranberry sauce to any cranberry sauce I have made.  It is the stuff he grew up with so it is what he likes best.

If your family likes homemade cranberry sauce instead of the canned stuff, here are a few tips for you.

1.  Another name for cranberries is bounceberries, when purchasing fresh cranberries see if they will bounce.  Pick hard cranberries, bright light to dark red cranberries, that are sealed in plastic bags.

2.  When a cranberry bursts, it is best to stop cooking them.  Over cooking will make the berries very tart and bitter.

3.  For each pound of cranberries you are cooking, add a teaspoon of unsalted butter.  It will reduce the amount of foam that develops and help prevent it from boiling over.

4.  Add lemon juice and sugar to the cooking water to help keep the color in your cranberries.

Wishing you and your family a
 Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving!
Check back on Friday, for 
Thanksgiving Leftover recipes! 

Follow me on my Facebook page!

Visit my friends blogs!

GINGERLOCKS' KITCHEN, will become one of your favorite blogs! Stop by Jordan's blog and take a peek! 

Also visit my friend Pam's blog, Pam's Midwest Kitchen Korner,  for more great recipes!  Once you read her blog, she will be your friend too!

No comments:

Post a Comment